Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Here!



After over 24 hours of traveling, I’m here in Brisbane! Right now, I’m settling in to my new dorm, which is essentially a sorority. Highlights have been: not being allowed to go to bed until we learned a dance to the Backstreet Boys, being woken up at 6am to run around campus and perform said Backstreet Boys dance, and attending an “Ugly Party.” I looked quite “smashing” in my blue jumpsuit and painted on “monobrow.” It’s been pretty fun/funny. I think I’ve gotten off easy though, since I’ve seen other groups of girls jogging around the campus with purple shower caps on with people screaming at them and shooting them with water guns…
I’ve had a chance to go into Brisbane, which is along a river, so you can take a ferry from place to place instead of a bus, which is excellent. It was raining when I went, so no good photos yet.
Of course, the most exciting thing so far has been a trip with other Wash U students to the Koala sanctuary. I thought there would just be some koalas in some trees. It was more like hundreds of koalas in hundreds of trees. And- I got to hold one! His name was Orion. He was very soft, very smelly, and very fond of my boobs. Also there was a kangaroo petting zoo (what?) so I got to pet a kangaroo. I also saw crocs, emus, wombats, and cassowaries. Cassowaries are basically like emus but with huge claws that they could slice through your body (cool). I was in Anna heaven.
Other wildlife spottings since I’ve been here have included bats with 2 foot wingspans, ducks with faux-hawks (one tried to attack me because I walked too close to it’s babies), a lizard on my window, and lots of birds that I get excited about but are probably the equivalents to crows or sparrows in America.


Things I’ve discovered so far:

1. Iced coffee = Coffee+ Ice Cream
2. Vegemite= Salty Nastiness
3. Aussies + Theme Parties = True Love


Orion and I.


Kanga and I.


Emu.


This picture is homage to Aaron.


Mandy and I in our ugly attire (before we got attacked with facepaint). Full length shot didn't come out. I'll search for further photo documentation. On second thought, maybe not.

7 comments:

Sam said...

Bravo

Anonymous said...

did iced coffee = bad experience for Anna??? :)
p.s. I like your hair

Anonymous said...

YAY! you made it and are alread on the go. You look so warm in your short sleeved shirt and skirt. I really like your koala - he's cute. I'm in whispers right now waiting to go to set up for another Relay meeting (only 11 days left!!!). It's sad but that's my life. Take care of yourself and live it up!!!

Anonymous said...

that was Rebecca by the way, although I'm sure the "Relay is my life" gave that away.

Anonymous said...

Love the koala pictures!

Anonymous said...

I'm pretty sure Mandy spelled Orion's name as "O'Ryan" on her facebook photos. I think she is right and you are wrong. And speaking of me saying mean things, I owe you a really nice email. I will explain in a later email.

Nathan Render said...

It looks like you're on the real predator set now.....Any exciting adventure walks to 1980's movie sets? Your koala looks very content...Glad you're safe and sound..Miss you!